MoonCatcher Sewing Directions Pattern kit includes:
- Strap pattern
- Carrier pattern
- Tyvek pattern
- PVC turning tube
Needed but not provided:
- Ruler (measures 1’)
- Iron & ironing board
- Sewing machine
For a single MoonCatcher pad, cut out a single strap piece, a single Tyvek piece, and 2 carrier pieces.
- Carefully cut out all pieces. The more exact you are the easier the pad will go together.
- Notch carrier at indentations as indicated by snipping a small cut (no more than 1/8 inch) into the carrier fabric.
- Mark notch line on each piece of Tyvek as indicated on pattern.
SA = Seam Allowance
- Sew strap on the wrong side, making a seam 1/4” (61⁄2 mm) SA from the edge along the length of strap leaving both ends open.
- Turn strap inside out using pvc tube and chopstick. Press with seam in center of the strap.
- Cut pressed strap in half to make the two short pieces. These pieces will hold the absorbent pad fabric on the carrier.
- Line up Tyvek with center notches on wrong side of one long piece of carrier. Frame Tyvek by sewing all the way around the Tyvek. Trim Tyvek if necessary.
- Set the two straps 1” (2.5 cm) SA in towards the curve from stitching line around the Tyvek — on right side of carrier piece. Position the strap so that the seam is face down. Stitch along each end of both straps to keep in place.
- Place the two long carrier pieces right side to right side, matching the notches at one end. This alignment makes sure that the front and back ends of the carrier pieces match up.
- Starting at the un-notched end of the carrier, stitch 1/4” (6.5 mm) SA all the way around the carrier but leaving the un-notched end open. Backtack at beginning and end. Turn entire carrier inside out using a yardstick. Turn over and check to be sure seam catches the edges of both pieces and that the seam continues below the nick in the fabric used to align the carrier with the Tyvek.
- Press carefully keeping the seams neatly on the edges.
- Turn unstitched ends under 1/4” (6.5 mm) SA stitch the end closed.
- Fold each end over 4” (10.2 cm) towards the back of the carrier.
- Stitch 4 seams 1” (2.5 cm) apart to form 4 casings on each end. Backtack at each end of each seam.
- With right sides together stitch 1/2” (1.3 cm) SA from notch to bottom on both sides. Backtack at beginning and end.
- Edgestitch the notched opening on each side – from notch to edge of fabric, folding the edge of the fabric twice and stitching each of 4 edges.
- Fold top edges under 1/4” (6.5 mm) and then over 1” (2.5 cm) to form casing.
- Turn the bag right side out.
- Thread 24” cording into casing, one piece going one way and the other the other way.
- Fold in half with nylon side together and rubbery surface on the outside.
- Stitch 1/4” SA on each side.
- Roll and stitch top edge 1/4”.
- Turn to right side.
- Sew Velcro.